I haven’t had the time to get into EVE much over the past couple days so I don’t really have anything remotely interesting to write about. The only thing that has happened to me lately is being on the way back from Jita to Tasti and being blown up by a pirate gate-camping in a Badger MkII. Unluckily for me, I was too busy taking these two screenshots to notice that he was flashing red and that he had targeted me.
Luckily for me, I was only flying in a shuttle (and not my beautiful and valuable Myrmidon) and I had nothing in the cargo bay; and although I was podded, I had no implants (valuable or otherwise). So I didn’t really lose anything of any importance or great value, just 940,000 ISK for the new clone.
Anyway, back to my original point, links. Over the past couple days, I’ve found some great guides, apps and general bits of news that I thought you guys and girls may find useful or interesting. A couple, I’ve posted before but I thought I’d post them again in case you may have missed them or we have some new readers that hasn’t seen them. So here goes.
- EVE-MEEP -Eve-MEEP is the host for a wide array of tools that provide the vital calculations necessary for any serious industrialist. These tools take advantage of data accumulated by Eve-MEEP to help with everything from production to mining to trade.
- EVEMon – A lightweight, easy-to-use standalone Windows application designed to assist you in keeping track of your EVE Online character progression.
- EVE Fitting Tool – Great program in which you can try out and test new fittings for ships you have or are thinking about buying.
- The EVE Compendium – A compendium of EVE knowledge, mostly in the form of guides. Pretty much any guide you’ll need is in this compendium.
- 2D EVE Maps – Does what it says on the tin, 2D EVE maps by Ombey (and not Omber Zombie as I wrote earlier for some reason).
- EVE Alliance Map – A galaxy map, regularly updated with alliance territory locations, pirate infestations, alliance war zones and current political power blocs.
- EVE Influence Map – Similar to the alliance map above but instead shows influence.
I’ve been meaning to do the new tutorial for quite a while now. I’d originally forgotten but while sitting in Tasti, and being bored as hell, I remembered and started creating a new character. As I hadn’t flown Amarr before, I created a female Amarr Khanid character and named her Reina Alair.
So far the tutorial seems pretty well done, I haven’t noticed any major problems as of yet. The first difference I noticed (well, it was hard not to notice) was that now the players ship starts in a deadspace location instead of in a station. It’s quite a good place to start as it is an abandoned Mining Facility, so it’s quite a convenient place to learn to mine and fight because of the Veldspar asteroids and pirate drones scattered around the area.
I’m currently only up to working for the tutorial agent, but I’ve already noticed a few bugs and general things that shouldn’t be happening.
- After maximising EVE (after minimising with Alt + Tab while in full screen mode) the engine flame graphics disappear, leaving the trails to look like they’re coming out of inactive engines.
- I’m not sure if this is a new feature or a bug but mining lasers now only fire once per cycle instead of continuously throughout the cycle. I’m not sure whether a new player would accept this as how they work or believe that they’re not working properly, but when I saw them it led me to think that the lasers weren’t working as they should.
- This is hardly a big problem at all, but Aurora calls the tutorial agent ‘him’ when it is in fact a woman.
- When undocking from a station, the overview moves about a third of the way across the screen, meaning that you have to move it back to the side or wherever you prefer it to be.
It seems they’ve really cut down the tutorial, I remember it taking hours to complete. I was expecting to get a whole post written from it but it seems that I’ve already finished it after only an hour or so. I guess that this is proof of how well they’ve condensed the tutorial from a few hours long to just over an hour long.
If you want a more in depth tutorial explanation, head over to Revelations Tutorial – Part I, II & III (oops, I originally linked to the wrong post) over at The Ancient Gaming Noob. This one didn’t turn out the way I had planned, so here are a few screenshots I took while doing the tutorial. I’ll try and get a proper entry (one that isn’t taken up mostly by screenshots) posted soon.
On a side note, I’ve been thinking about changing the layout of my blog. I’m getting a little bored of my current layout so I was thinking about changing it to the one you can see below.
I prefer it to my current one to be honest but I was just wondering how everyone else felt about it. I don’t want to end up as one of those people that changes their blog layout every few months. So, what’s your opinion? Should I stay with my current layout or switch to this new one.
Still not much going on in EVE. The last few days have just been spent flying back and forth between asteroid belts in Tasti, destroying rats* with my new Ogre II heavy attack drones.
While we’re on the subject of drones, I’m not liking the new drone bandwidth addition. Before Trinity I would have been able to launch five Ogre II drones in my Myrmidon, which to be honest I was excited about. But now, I can only launch a maximum of three. Now, I’m not saying that I’m annoyed or that I want the change removed, just that I am a little disappointed that I am now limited to launching three drones at a time. Although, with that said, three Ogre II drones can do a lot of damage so it’s not like I’ve now been severely gimped by the changes.
I’ve been thinking about leaving my current corporation as the CEO and director have left Hells Angels Inc. to join a non-pirate, PvP corporation in SMASH alliance. When they left, the CEO made an alt and appointed his alt the position of new CEO. Because of that, the corporation has been left with no direction and the members tend to want to do their own thing, rather than try and organise a hunt.
So, if anyone reading this is a member of a PvP (preferably pirate but if not, I don’t mind) corporation that is recruiting, leave me a message and if I end up leaving Hells Angels Inc, I’ll get back to you. See my recruitment page for my recruitment info.
*Rats = NPC pirate ships often found in asteroid belts
So, I’ve been playing EVE for a bit today under the new premium client and I have to say I’m very impressed at the quality of the graphics. I’ve only managed to grab screenshots of my Myrmidon so far as my other ships are in a different system and there’s a gate-camp* somewhere along the 6 jump route. I could chance it but while I could put up a hell of a fight, I’d rather keep my Myrmidon in one piece. And keeping it in one piece won’t be very likely if I come across a gate-camp with more than two people.
I’ll most likely upload more screenshots when I get the chance to see more ships and/or objects in general.
*A gate-camp is a group of ships hanging around one end of a stargate, with the intention of either destroying or ransoming (usually destroying) any ships going in or out of said stargate.
As I’m writing this post, I’m sitting in the Science and Trade Institute station in Tasti and patiently waiting while the new Premium client downloads at a somewhat speedy 225 kb/s. I know I say this a lot but I honestly cannot wait to see the new and improved graphics. I’m almost even more excited to see the new Myrmidon. I’ve yet to see a single screenshot of one with improved graphics.
If anyone reading this also looks at my EVE Online screenshots on my Flickr page, I’ll be making a new set for my Trinity screenshots which you’ll be able to find here.
As with all major patch releases, it seems that a few bugs have popped up and Trinity is causing CCP some problems. I just had this message pop up while I was chatting to some of the EVE GFX guys. Hopefully they can get these sorted out soon and we get back to having a relatively bug-free EVE experience.
Hi, were having a wee problem with a node and we need to close it down. The people in the constellations (51ZT-6, AC-RON, D-GU3R, D-YMGR, EL8Z-M, GP-GIU, I-3ODK, I89-EP, Mermaid, Q-IPAA, U7L-MQ, Unicorn) will be disconnected from the server. It will only take 1-2 mins max for these constellations to reload. Please try to be out of harms way within the next 5 mins if you are in 1 of these constellations.
Eve Online Development Team
On a side note, I had no idea that there were two constellations called Mermaid and Unicorn.